Skip to main content

Random text tool

I recently blogged about some of the tools I use, and how some are so useful I keep using them. As I mentioned, randomness is pretty useful, and I have tools to help me generate random text.

A few of my readers requested a copy of my simple random text generating script, so I've decided to open it up for everyone to use and test. It will have bugs, like all software, please send details and I'll try and fix them.

If you are interested in what UTF-8 is and what all that Unicode stuff is about, there is a great article by Joel Spolsky that explains all, and the wikipedia page is ok.

To use it...

First download the script, its on GitHub. The script is fairly short and is all in one file. You don't have to 'install it', its not a GEM.

Second, make sure you have Ruby version 1.9 or greater. You need version 1.9, because Ruby didn't handle UTF-8 well in older versions.

Thirdly run the script like this:

ruby fuzzutf8.rb

That will give you some usage examples.

Typically you might use it like this:

ruby fuzzutf8.rb -c 100 -utf8_two_byte
ծݸԒ̂ƍՔ͌вЊޏΒđµʠ£أҋ‘ŷݟߢ؁ˬУԝψĭ͕ѼХׅ۲ѨÃːׁǡ ܮ͂ϗՎœߔƭ̷Ȼ̧ʕʏٔǝ͈ܰȄبǚŎڿξަدʓ׽߷ЊݑڷũɛӥѤ̸ôߋȭԭæúѫܚʽͫʔƦܾ߷Ûƕͱ՛عӯ̨֢د߻Ӈ

That's a hundred code-points of UTF-8, in the two byte range.

As operating systems sometimes have issues copying and pasting these code-points (e.g. Windows XP) You may prefer to redirect the contents straight to a text file. e.g.:

ruby fuzzutf8.rb -c 100 -utf8_two_byte > random_utf8_file.txt

You can then treat the output like any other file. You can open it in a text editor, but beware many programs can not handle random UTF8 well, You may wish to save your work first.

The script also allows you to keep a record of the code-point numbers generated in a separate file ( -o option). These can then be replayed at a later date should you need to ( -r option ). The script doesn't do a lot of validation, so you can probably have great fun tripping the script itself up with dodgy inputs and arguments ;-)

I'm confident the script has many bugs, but it is nonetheless quite useful, and has been useful in helping me to locate other bugs. If you are interested in random text generators, There is a windows tool that I've also found useful, called Babel from TestMentor. Babel allows you to choose the output by character set/codepoint range, which is also interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The gamification of Software Testing

A while back, I sat in on a planning meeting. Many planning meetings slide awkwardly into a sort of ad-hoc technical analysis discussion, and this was no exception. With a little prompting, the team started to draw up what they wanted to build on a whiteboard.

The picture spoke its thousand words, and I could feel that the team now understood what needed to be done. The right questions were being asked, and initial development guesstimates were approaching common sense levels.

The discussion came around to testing, skipping over how they might test the feature, the team focused immediately on how long testing would take.

When probed as to how the testing would be performed? How we might find out what the team did wrong? Confused faces stared back at me. During our ensuing chat, I realised that they had been using BDD scenarios [only] as a metric of what testing needs to be done and when they are ready to ship. (Now I knew why I was hired to help)



There is nothing wrong with checking t…

Manumation, the worst best practice.

There is a pattern I see with many clients, often enough that I sought out a word to describe it: Manumation, A sort of well-meaning automation that usually requires frequent, extensive and expensive intervention to keep it 'working'.

You have probably seen it, the build server that needs a prod and a restart 'when things get a bit busy'. Or a deployment tool that, 'gets confused' and a 'test suite' that just needs another run or three.

The cause can be any number of the usual suspects - a corporate standard tool warped 5 ways to make it fit what your team needs. A one-off script 'that manager' decided was an investment and needed to be re-used... A well-intended attempt to 'automate all the things' that achieved the opposite.

They result in a manually intensive - automated process, where your team is like a character in the movie Metropolis, fighting with levers all day, just to keep the lights on upstairs. Manual-automation, manumatio…

Scatter guns and muskets.

Many, Many years ago I worked at a startup called Lastminute.com (a European online travel company, back when a travel company didn't have to be online). For a while, I worked in what would now be described as a 'DevOps' team. A group of technical people with both programming and operational skills.

I was in a hybrid development/operations role, where I spent my time investigating and remedying production issues using my development, investigative and still nascent testing skills. It was a hectic job working long hours away from home. Finding myself overloaded with work, I quickly learned to be a little ruthless with my time when trying to figure out what was broken and what needed to be fixed.
One skill I picked up, was being able to distinguish whether I was researching a bug or trying to find a new bug. When researching, I would be changing one thing or removing something (etc) and seeing if that made the issue better or worse. When looking for bugs, I'd be casting…